Wednesday 3 February 2010

Four Gold Awards For January

In January I entered seven categories in the Society of Wedding & Portrait Photographers (SWPP) monthly competition.  The results of the judging has now been published and I am delighted to announce that I received Four Gold awards.  I am really pleased because I set myself a personal target of beating last years four Gold awards and so far this year I have already equaled it.  I personally use these competitions to give a little bit of a guide as to how my camera and creative skills are developing.  Even when they fail, I never get disheartened.  At the end of the day one persons Bronze is another persons Gold.  I do however sit and look at my images and try and see what the negatives may be.  Taking images of subjects other than Weddings and Portraits is also what keeps the passion for photography inside me, especially the smoke images.  These give me the opportunity to get creative and pre-visualize an image. So now I will sit and look at the reasons why the other three images got two bronze and a silver award and hopefully tomorrow, I will be an even better photographer than today.

Here are the Gold Winners from January.


Digital Art Gold
A smoke image where I have created an image of two ladies.


Fine Art Gold
Another Smoke image mirrored twice to create an abstract look.



Landscape Gold
A winters view from Fishmoor Reservoir in Blackburn looking across Darwen to Darwen Tower.

Monochrome Gold
A mirrored smoke image, made to look like a mask on a stick perhaps?

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Paul. Not many people understand how tough it is to get a Gold. After all, it's a top industry award and one so many photographers strive for, but so few attain. You're competing against the best the industry has to offer, from around the globe.

    ReplyDelete