Tuesday 11 May 2010

Moroccan Adventure - Lancashire Wedding Photographer on Tour

On the 8th May I had the pleasure of being the photographer for the wedding of Jayne and Ste. The unusual thing about this wedding for me was the fact it was in Marrakech, Morocco and was passed on to me by Siobhan Murphy of Siobhan Murphy Photography and this post is not to show the wedding images, that will come later, but a bit about the trip.

My alarm went off on Thursday at 5.00am in preparation for a my weekly business networking breakfast meeting.  This was all finished by 10.00am then it was time to finish off the packing and try and keep the weight gown to the RyanAir weight limits.  This is easier said than done when you consider how much kit is normally taken to a wedding with all the back ups etc.  But I managed it and was on the weight limit for hold and cabin luggage.  In the afternoon I set off for Luton Airport on the train via Bolton Manchester and Milton Keynes.  I was lucky in Milton Keynes, my Wetherspoon Radar kicked in and took me for some light refreshment to break up the journey.  I then finally got to Luton late at night ready for a 4am check in.  Sleep at the airport?  Not a chance, it was cold and noisy but the check in desk did open at 3am to help give more of a feeling of 'getting there'.  5.30 and it was the RyanAir wacky races to the plane and we set off bang on time at 6am.  9.30am (No time difference) we landed in Marrakech and the weather was cool and cloudy which I was quite pleased about as I had no idea how much walking around I would be doing or indeed where I was going.  A taxi driver was at the airport to meet me and take me to my Riad accommodation.  This was my first experience of Moroccan driving and it was an experience in itself.  Their driving style would normally be me with lots of road rage, lots of accidents and lots of police fines in this country, but there it was so out of control it was under control.

I was then dropped off in the main square in Marrakech and met by Yassin from the Riad who walked me the last half mile through the souks (markets) and some very narrow paths to arrive at Riad Douzi.  Very, very basic accommodation but very welcoming.  A riad is accommodation which surrounds a courtyard.  It was quite noisy so decided sleep wasn't an option, so I went out walking in the area to get a feel for Moroccan life and make the most of the very short time to myself.  So I went walking around the souks, trying not to get run down by crazy people on scooters who will actually use the inside of shops as short cuts.  Once I had sampled a few of delights of Marrakech and enough of the heat it was time to try and find my way back to the Riad to prepare for an evening taking photos for Jayne and Ste.  It finally all quietened down at 2am and I was able to get a few hours sleep.

Saturday 11.00am I met up with a few of the guests and got a taxi to the Villa Dinari where the wedding was held.  A beautiful villa on the outskirts of Marrakech, with wonderful hosting from Heather and her crew. The whole wedding day was a relaxed day with a small simple Muslim ceremony.  So relaxed the priest took 3 phone calls during the ceremony.

I was finally back to my Riad at 12.30am, time to pack up and get a little sleep before the days travelling back on Sunday.  So Sunday morning was soon upon me and it was time for shanks' pony, a dodgy taxi ride, an aeroplane, a coach, three trains and a car and I was home again.  It was a tiring adventure but very enjoyable.  Below are just a few images from Marrakech, the wedding ones will follow soon.






















If you are looking for a wedding photographer in Lancashire, or a portrait photographer. Contact Paul Brown Photography on 0800 6126569 or email paulbrown1@aol.com

Images Copyright Paul Brown Photography
Blackburn,
Preston
Bolton
Burnley
Pendle
Ribble Valley
Wigan
Colne

If you are a business owner in the Blackburn area and looking to gain more business.  Contact me to find out about our business referral breakfasts at Ewood Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment